Something that we are all trying to do when travel is pack lighter. It is a constant struggle to travel lighter since we are both over-packers. Instead of trying to pack an outfit for every day, we started to pack only about half of what we needed. And to save costs on doing laundry…we started doing laundry in the hotel bathroom! We promise, it’s super easy and super cheap and it allows you to bring less clothes in your suitcase. An overall win-win!
Here’s how you go about doing laundry in the hotel bathroom:
- Get a travel packet of Tide Detergent. Ours was just over $2 at the CVS around the corner from our hotel on the strip in Las Vegas. It was easier for us to not pack this and just go buy it when we needed it. The travel packet that we bought though is so slim that you could easily bring a couple with you wherever you go.
- Start to fill up your sink with lukewarm water and add about 1/4th of the travel detergent package. You want to fill the sink up to about 3/4 of the way since the clothes will absorb a lot of the water.
- After you’ve separated your white clothing from colors and darks, take one group of those and put in the sink.
- Start to scrub clothing together if there are particular areas that need to be cleaned. Then you can start to knead the clothing in the sink for about 10 minutes, and allowing to sit for another 30 minutes.
- Drain the sink and start to run water over the clothes and wring them out. Make sure that all of the detergent is washed out of the clothes.
- With a towel on the ground, lay each piece of clean clothing on the towel. Roll the towel up tightly and slowly.
- Unroll the towel and hang up clothes in bathroom or on clothesline to dry! Done!
If you give it a shot or have any suggestions for us to fine tune our laundry technique, comment below!
Blog post republished at womensgolf.com